Saturday, March 20, 2010

There she goes...

Righto. So, mark this as the first blog post of the new quarter. The class this go around? Twenty First Century Communication Technology. Nice to know that I'll get to use this blog a second time around rather than just setting it up to look pretty on the internet for one 12 week course. (I like to get my money's worth out of things, even free things like blogs.)

So, to those of you who have ventured into my realm, welcome. I'm Kiri. I know, I know. My name on the discussion postings says 'Christina', but that really only matters for taxes and employment and anything else that might be considered 'official'. For the rest of the world I'm Kiri and I prefer it that way. It's a nickname that I picked up in high school that has stuck and that the general consensus, even from my parents, is that it suits me better than my legal name. (And before you ask, I am planning to have it legally changed as soon as I can scrounge up the extra funds to do so.)

Currently, I'm a telephone slave for a large company in Omaha. I'm not good at the work and neither do I enjoy it, so the hunt is on for something that fulfills both of those requirements. At least I am able to have a job while I search for something better, which is more than can be said for many people these days, so I try not to complain too long or loud.

When I'm not nagging people on the phones or working on school stuff, I'm an inveterate bookworm (seriously, 4 - 6 books a week is a fairly regular free reading schedule), sometimes writer (recently more fanfic than original work, but it's for fun and practice more than anything), and occasional pirate goddess. ...well, the goddess part might be pushing it a bit, but just a bit. I perform with a renaissance faire troupe called The Ladies of the Salty Kiss every so often when the stars align and the winds blow true and I can actually get to a gig. Which basically translates to performing when they come to the Omaha faire out at Scary Acres. I also do some crafty stuff, like bastardizing Barbie dolls to look like characters that my friends and I have made for various writing projects and some counted cross stitch. I'm also a bit of a comic book geek (more Marvel than DC) and am getting into the video gaming scene when I can schedule a few hours to waste playing Ultimate Alliance 2.

I graduated from Rogers State University in the spring of 09, tried for a summer and fall to not go to school and realized that if I don't have about a million things going on at a time and/or constantly have my hands busy and my mind engaged in something I'm going to get so bored that I don't do anything! I'm one of those weird people that's got to be busy and maybe even moderately useful.

I'm rather excited to be taking another of Prof. Artz's classes, and no, I'm not just sucking up. I enjoyed the Ethics and Decision Making class that I took last term immensely, and look forward to just as enjoyable of a learning experience this term as well. Besides, it's a class on technology, and that just makes my inner geek squee. I like technology, for all it doesn't appear to like me most of the time.

I guess I'll stop rambling there. I look forward to getting to know you all! Feel free to pop in and say hi at any point.

Ciao!
K

2 comments:

  1. Cool profile image. You are on fire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kiri (fellow classmate),
    I laughed while reading your info. I also was a phone/cubicle slave at a large juggernaut of a company, until yesterday. I had been in the same situation as you, doing average to below par work to keep my benefits and pay while looking for something better. Yesterday I finally took the big leap in order to save what's left of my soul and I quit my job. From what I hear from others who have also left that employer recently, the job market is not as bad as the media likes to portray (depending on where you are of course). I'm going to take a stab at it and hope for the best. Wish me luck! Just wanted to let you know I whole heartedly identify with your job situation, I wish you the best of luck finding something better.

    I'm also similar to you in that if I have nothing to do, I will do absolutely nothing and just become a lazy lump, but if I have tons of irons in the fire - I thrive. Stress causes propulsion forward for some of us I guess.

    I look forward to working with you in class.
    Susie Sampson

    ReplyDelete